Exposure to Sunlight
DID YOU KNOW?
…up to 80% of lifetime sun exposure occurs before 18 years of age because children are outdoors three times more than adults?
…it can take between 10 and 20 years for the damage to your skin from childhood sunburns and suntans to develop?
…the sun’s rays can penetrate clothing, especially if it’s wet?
…up to 90% of all skin cancers are caused by the ultraviolet rays of the sun?
Be especially careful in the sun if you or your child has …
* fair skin and/or freckles
* blond, red, or light brown hair
* blue, green, or grey eyes
* a large number of moles
* a tendency to burn easily, tan little, or not at all
* a family history of skin cancer
* long periods of daily exposure or short periods of intense exposure
From a pamphlet offered as a public service by The Alliance of Children’s Hospitals, Inc.